Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Remiss

I haven't been writing on this site nearly as much as I want to. I wanted to give you a nitty-gritty, intensive look into the free labor I am doing four days a week for a group of 18 little angels. Alas, I have been far too busy reading Confessions of a Shopaholic and being a Shopaholic to get around to talking about T.D.'s tantrums or A.C.'s adorably misshapen bowl cut/mullet hybrid hairdo. Your loss.
But seriously, second grade is nothing like I anticipated. When we walked in on the first day and were met my a sea of little arms thrusting scissors towards us (cut out my snowman's head, Ms. Newteacher!) I thought it was going to be semester full of needy children doing busy work.
As it turns out, all children are needy, all children do busy work and school, and I don't care in the slightest. In fact, I thrive on the ability to help children cut things out and accomplish whatever it is they want to accomplish.
The key word here, though, is want.
Children rarely want to do anything academic. I wonder at least 5 times a day what it would be like if kids could learn about what they were interested in. What would be the dire consequences if they spent an hour a day doing unstructured work? Who would suffer if they didn't do writing from 12:05-12:50? Could we maybe push writing to the morning and COMBINE it with reading, or social studies, or science? Could we? or better yet... should we?
It's hard to say what a classroom would be like if you changed it, without actually experimenting with the change. The problem is, no one wants to risk giving second grade students who still need to learn the fundamentals of reading free time to study Bach and his Preludes (cause Lord knows that's what they'd chose to explore). I fear that the primary grades need this structure, so that they can learn how to belong to society.
But how much of what we do in school is like what we do in real life? When was the list time you filed out of Publix in a line? Does it matter where you sit when you read? Don't you read better when you are given options about where to sit?
Don't you want to write about whatever you want?
And science, don't even get me started. Let them do science. I'll leave it at that.
Sometimes when Lindsey and I are alone we say, "What would Katie or Caitie do?" Katie M. was our science methods teacher, an advocate for letting kids do things, not just read about them. She always went the extra mile to meet us where we were on our science knowledge ("I might have learned that once, but probably not"). She did this because it is the right way, but it is also how we be with our students. Caitie G. was just the nicest person in the universe with an obvious passion for her field- reading. I think of her when I want to remember how to be a nice, patient person.
So anyway, this whole thing is a tangent all to get to one point: What if we just did what we wanted as teachers? What if I led my class exactly as I thought was best? Whose gonna stop me?
Probably a lot of people.

On an unrelated note, I am loving Modern Family right now. I just watched the Valentines Day episode and it was poignant and funny, as always. That show always hits the right note. I am reading Firefly Lane, which really made me think about writing. As I try and write a book I find that it is very difficult for me to get the timing right. I want to start a story where it starts, but there is always backstory that I feel is important... I want to talk about a thirty year old guy, for example, but how can you fully appreciate him if you don't know what happened to him in the past? Do we start from age 0 with every character? Of course not. Yet sometimes I want to.
I guess thats just me being a bad writer that I cant find a way to subtly instill the significance of what is happening in my characters lives without backing up and saying "no seriously, this is a big deal because he didn't chew with his mouth closed for his WHOLE LIFE and now, suddenly, he is! Applaud him!"
In Firefly Lane, they started from the beginning of two girls lives and it seems like they are going to move through generations. I'm not even a quarter of a way done and they are out of college. It's like A Land Remembered, without the bodily impalements. And I don't think I like this style all that much, at least in terms of trying to emulate it. Not enough in-the-moment "Bella leans in towards Edwards rock-like neck and plants a kiss, only to ignite his bloodlust" excitement. I need that excitement in my writing!

Graduation is looming ever closer. We went to a meeting today about grad school, and I sat in my chair and thought about what I would do if USC actually accepts me into their online Masters program. On the one hand, its expensive as all get out. On the other, so is life. By saying yes I basically go against everything I have been saying and feeling for the past year- that I want to get a Masters in something other than teaching. However, they certify you. I am all about getting certified so I can get a real job. I am drawn to the immediacy of the whole thing... I start right after this semester ends and finish in a year. No real delay. I am learning that down time causes me anxiety, so this option is kind of good for that reasons.
I should knew in a few days. It will be a moot point if I don't get in.
What a timeless question.. to be a Trojan, or not to be a Trojan?
Nice Mascot, USC.
Stop this blog while before your reader slips into a stupor, Barb.

No comments:

Post a Comment