Friday, December 18, 2009

Bad Romance.

Lady Gaga has been, unsurprisingly, the guest star on this trip so far. Allow me to explain.
Last year during our trip to NYC, we had an array of "guest stars" join us for the duration of the trip. These were the lucky souls who were quoted, imitated, or otherwise mentioned throughout the trip for the purpose of our amusement. The one guest star from NY last year that outshines the rest is probably Austin's mother; her name was mentioned quite often because she was responsible for the scarf that shed all over Brendan and Austin throughout the entire trip.
"Your mother is all over me" was the winning line as far as I'm concerned. There were others, but most too foul to repeat, involving a chalice of BS and "The _____ story." Thats about all I am at liberty to say.
In San Francisco, Beyonce was our guest star because we listened to Ego and watched that music video at least three times a day all week. And I'm (we're*) not sorry.
Anyway, this trip Lady Gaga is our guest star. I just decided that a few hours ago when Austin came out of the restroom at the top of Rockerfeller Center with the following to say:
"I was in my stall minding my own business, humming Lady Gaga Ra-ra-oh-ra-ra, when the guy in the stall next to me finished the bar. We continued to have this conversation about Lady Gaga, where he told me what song he preferred. It was strange. I couldn't perform after that".
So for now, until I am otherwise inspired, Lady Gaga is the guest star.
Yesterday was a pleasant day, though not for Austin who woke up with a sinus infection. He too proceeded to the Duane Reade pharmacy for some impromptu medical attention. Now that we are both happily on meds for our various ailments, Josh is proudly the only one left who isn't taking antibiotics. I hope he isn't next. After Austin woke up and informed us he wasn't able to move from the bed because his head hurt so badly, Josh and I decided to head over to Greenwich Village to get something to eat and explore. It was shockingly windy over there (well, not just over there I am sure but I distinctly remember the gusts of wind.) We ate at this little diner that overfed the beejesus out of us. We both ordered lunch specials and received enough food to feed the rat population of NYC. I had lasagna (in a boat-shaped vessel) and Josh had a thanksgiving dinner, AKA the roast beef platter. We left feeling tired and full.
I then tried to find a public bathroom, thinking it would be an acceptable thing for me to ask of the city of NY. I was wrong, and I waited in a line at The World Market for about 30 minutes (no joke). While Josh waited for me he claims he saw about 30 Zooey Dechenel clones, which I believe because of our proximity to NYU. After that little bit of amusement-park style waiting, we left the village and headed back to midtown for some FAO Shwartz and Disney Store action. Both were immensely satisfying. All in all, we had a good time.
We tracked down Austin later in the night. We planned to meet up at this restaurant on 83rd and Amsterdam, he coming from his clinic visit and us coming from the hotel. Alas, as we approach the restaurant that Josh chose after meticulously researching for about 20 minutes we noticed that there was a few cop cars. As we got even closer we saw the two Crime Scene Vans parked directly in front of the restaurant we had chosen. Suddenly all of the news vans that surrounded the area came into focus; we tried to figure out what was going on by tuning into the news reporters. A voice from near the Fox news van was discernible above the rest: " Investigators are trying to figure out why 3 generations of a family were wiped out in this apartment complex behind me..."
We kept walking so I didn't get to hear the end of that broadcast. We read the paper at breakfast this morning to try and get the story, which ended up being a horrifying one. The New York Post was horrifying in itself and not at all like the paper in Saint Augustine.
Breakfast, however, was delicious. We ate at the same restaurant from the other morning called "Good Enough To Eat" with all of its mock-country decorations. The music today was less country though, which made for a more pleasant meal (at least for Josh).
After breakfast we headed to this park in the Meat Packing District that was just recently created from an old train path. It's kind of hard to explain, but it is absolutely gorgeous and it was such a relief to find a serene spot in the city. I guess when I have moments like the one I had in this park I realize just how much I value peace and quiet. I love the juxtaposition of nature and city, and I felt a very small bit of that at this park. I hate to even call it a park because it isn't a lush green field or play place. It's more of A Spot. A Spot you journey to because its just that nice.
After we left The Spot, Josh tried his first coffee (hooray!) at Starbucks and we proceeded to the Top of the Rock where Lady Gaga made her debut as our honorary guest. It was absolutely breath taking (of course) and I enjoyed every second of the view. It didn't feel nearly as cold as I anticipated and Josh took a dozen awesome pictures. He has such an eye for photography. I, however, have an eye for gorgeousness which is why most of my pictures are of him and the buildings below (that was a bit of an affectionate shout-out, I apologize). Austin and I had fun dancing and posing in mostly undesirable positions. It was a really great trip to the Top of the Rock... and the sun setting was the icing on the cake.
Dinner was absolutely incredible. We ate a place called John's Pizza in midtown and hot dam it was amazing. Thin pizza=many slices to the dome.
And now I am here, uploading pictures and sitting cozily in a twin sized bed. Tomorrow night a snow storm is expected. Here's hoping (for just enough snow to satisfy my desire, but not enough to upset the flow of things)!



No comments:

Post a Comment