Saturday, December 19, 2009

...Racist

Today started like the rest with Austin murmuring sweet nothings to no one from his twin bed. I responded to his words, fully aware that he was asleep. Josh slept through the whole thing, blissfully unaware.
One of the things Austin spouted off in his half- asleep state was "someone else take the torch." I supposed, rightfully, that he was referring to the fact that he wanted someone else to wake up first and take the first shower. It's interesting to me that he speaks in strange cliches, even while sleeping.
Anyway, we woke up and we were running a little later than we expected to and barely made it to our NBC tour, bagels in hand. My everything bagel was especially cream-cheesy.
The NBC tour was entertaining. It was led by NBC Paiges and I made a point to ask about 30 Rock and whether or not they admired Kenneth. They don't, for the record.
My favorite part of the tour, aside from the gift shop, was a moment in the beginning of the tour when a sassy black woman interrupted the tour guide who was talking about a news room on the other side of a set of windows. She said in the rudest way imaginable, "How are we supposed to see what you are talking about." To that the tour guide replied "move closer". And to the woman Austin whispered "Fuck you". At the end of the tour (which included a view of SNL's stage- where James Franco filmed today, and the Late Night with Jimmy Fallon stage) Austin and the sassy black woman both agreed to participate in an activity, which turned out to be a faux news report. The SBW tried to do the weather but turned out to an uncoordinated epic failure, while Austin shined (literally, he was shiny on the HD TVs) as the news reporter.
The NBC tour was a good experience all in all. We bought tickets for it at the same time as the Top of the Rock tickets as a package deal, which turned out to be cheaper.
Did I mention the Top of the Rock and its incredibleness? Let me remind you.... It was Incredible.
Anyway, after we left NBC studios, we walked around 5th ave and Madison ave. We strolled through Debeers and Tiffany's, weeping a tear for each of the diamonds we will never be able to afford.
Josh had 2 coffees today, which excites me greatly. I have made a lover out of him! We both now have "our" drinks that we get at Starbucks. See world, we are trendy!
We walked through central park just as the snow began falling. We already anticipated a great amount of snow, and so far we have not been disappointed. Snow has been falling all day. It really is as fluffy and beautiful and I imagined it to be. Granted, I have seen it before, but never like this. there are already 6 inches on the ground and 6 more anticipated. Apparently there hasn't been this much snow since 2006! I was so excited to hear that a storm was coming through, though many locals did not feel the same way I am sure. It didn't even feel that cold outside... its really only the wind that gets to you.
We ate dinner at this fabulous Japanese place called Tenzan, and I drank vodka and cranberry with great enthusiasm. The food was special to my heart. Josh and Austin really loved lunch. We ate at the restaurant that we had intended to dine at the other night, when all of the Crime Scene trucks were around. Flor de Mayo was good for them, and alright for me (because I ordered wrong again, much to Josh's chagrin). He has worked very hard with Yelp this trip to ensure that we eat at the Yelpiest places in town. The yelping has been provided us with amazing food, and thus I plan to Yelp prior to our next trip. Yelp Yelp.
We saw Invictus today with Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon and it was incredible... by the way. That is all there is to say about that.
Today's crowning jewel, though, did not involve the food or NBC studios. As we left the Japanese restaurant in in pursuit of another theater to satisfy Austin's insatiable desire for overpriced oscar-worthy movies, we came across a man shoveling snow away from the sidewalk. Austin said to him in spanish, "Gracias por lo que haces" or, "Thank you for it that you do." The guy responded with something about it being his job.
Later, we were approaching two other street shovelers. Austin encouraged me to thank them too, in spanish... so I did. With great, unabashed ardor.
To this I received the following gem: "I speak English... you are racist".
To this Austin replied: "Well then, THANK you for all that you do... giggle."
And we ran. We ran all the live long night.
That's a lie... we are in our hotel room warm and itchy. Well, I'm warm and my legs are itchy. That's about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment