Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Texas 14

It's been a week since we last chatted about absolutely nothing, so I thought it was time to rekindle our fire. 

I had a very active weekend here in the heartland. We went to the rodeo and sat in the VIP section, which simply means we had access to a bar and more comfortable seats. No fresh earth was flung upon me this round, which suggests it was a better time than the first. We went with Corey's cousins and had a good time. It was the first day of rain I've had here. Apparently rain is a rarity; the locals lose all sense when the sky opens and forget how to drive. 

Today was the first day in a while I haven't gone out and explored. I made myself sleep in and relax. It was fantastic. I never want to go to work. The feelings of uselessness that marked my days in the beginning are no longer weighing on me. I enjoy having no where to go and no one to answer to. I love that every day this week I've considered different possibilities for my professional life. I've tried on several hats this week: Technical Writer, Travel Blogger, Web Page Designer. Today it was... Professional Sitter. I would make a career of sitting in a lounge chair in the backyard with a travel novel and a Stella.  I would develop a gradual tan for the first time in my adult life. I would finish my days with ice cream and HGTV. 

Right now I am reading "The Lost Girls". Three 28 year-old women quit their jobs and travel for a year. So far so good. It isn't spiritually driven like Eat, Pray, Love and it vacillates between POVs which makes it an interesting read. 

I woke up this morning feeling like I needed something. At first I was sure it was sugar, and I indulged in an Oatmeal Cream Pie while watching a Sex and the City marathon. When that failed to alleviate my unease, I went for a walk around the neighborhood. The conditions were perfect. It was windy, as it often is, but the sun was warm. there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I felt inspired to lay in the backyard, which is something you don't do much of in apartment complexes. I had forgotten what it feels like to have a backyard, to have a place to go where neighbors can't claim equal rights to your outdoor space. The yard was all mine today. And Katniss's. And "The Lost Girls". 

I wonder what tomorrow will bring. 

NYC 2009
Photo of the Day: 

No comments:

Post a Comment